Medically reviewed by Militian Inessa Mesropovna, PharmD. Last updated on 2020-04-10
Attention! Information on this page is intended only for medical professionals! Information is collected in open sources and may contain significant errors! Be careful and double-check all the information on this page!
Top 20 medicines with the same components:
Top 20 medicines with the same treatments:
Aids prevention of dental plaque formation. Aids the treatment and prevention of gingivitis. For the maintenance of oral hygiene. Promotes gingival healing following periodontal surgery. Management of recurrent oral ulceration. For the treatment of denture stomatitis and oral thrush.
For oromucosal use.
Adults, the elderly and children: To be used as required up to twice daily. Rinse the mouth thoroughly for about 1 minute with 10ml. The mouthwash should be expelled from the mouth after rinsing.
Prior to dental surgery: Rinse the mouth thoroughly with 10ml for 1 minute. The mouthwash should be expelled from the mouth after rinsing.
Treatment of gingivitis: A course of one month is recommended.
Treatment of denture stomatitis: Soak the denture(s) in solution for 15 minutes twice daily.
Treatment of oral ulceration and oral thrush: Treatment should be continued for 48 hours after clinical resolution.
Known hypersensitivity to the product or any of its components, especially in those with a history of possible Chlorhexidindigluconat 2%-related allergic reactions.
For oral use only. Keep away from the eyes and ears. If the solution comes into contact with the eyes, rinse well with water. Keep out of the reach and sight of children. Do not swallow. If symptoms persist, stop using and consult your doctor or dentist.
Chlorhexidindigluconat 2% Mouthwash contains Chlorhexidindigluconat 2%. Chlorhexidindigluconat 2% is known to induce hypersensitivity, including generalised allergic reactions and anaphylactic shock. The prevalence of Chlorhexidindigluconat 2% hypersensitivity is not known, but available literature suggests this is likely to be very rare. Chlorhexidindigluconat 2% Mouthwash should not be administered to anyone with a potential history of an allergic reaction to a Chlorhexidindigluconat 2%-containing compound.
No or negligible influence.
Frequency not known: Allergic skin reactions such as dermatitis, pruritus, erythema, eczema, rash, urticaria, skin irritation, and blisters.
Frequency not known: Hypersensitivity including anaphylactic shock.
A superficial discolouration of the dorsum of the tongue may occur which disappears after discontinuation of treatment. Discolouration of the teeth and silicate or composite restorations may also occur. The discolouration is not permanent and may be prevented by brushing daily with conventional toothpaste prior to using the mouthwash and avoiding tannin-containing food and drinks. In some cases a professional prophylaxis (scaling and polishing) may be necessary to completely remove the stain.
Transient disturbances of taste and a burning sensation of the tongue may occur on initial use of the mouthwash but usually diminishes with continued use.
In cases where oral desquamation occurs it may be necessary to discontinue treatment.
Very occasionally, swelling of the parotid glands during use has been reported. If this happens stop using the product and the effect should go away.
In all cases spontaneous resolution has occurred on discontinuation of treatment.
Reporting of suspected adverse reactions
Reporting suspected adverse reactions after authorisation of the medicinal product is important. It allows continued monitoring of the benefit/risk balance of the medicinal product. Healthcare professionals are asked to report any suspected adverse reactions via the Yellow Care Scheme at: www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard.
Chlorhexidindigluconat 2% is poorly absorbed by the oral route; therefore systemic effects are unlikely even if large volumes are swallowed. However, gastric lavage followed by supportive measures may be used as appropriate.
A01A B03 - Stomatological preparations, antiinfectives for local oral treatment
Chlorhexidindigluconat 2% digluconate is a bisbiguanide antiseptic and disinfectant, which is bactericidal or bacteriostatic against a wide range of gram negative and gram positive vegetative bacteria, yeasts, dermatophyte fungi and lipophilic viruses. The antimicrobial activity covers most of the important species occurring in the oral microflora.
Due to its cationic nature, Chlorhexidindigluconat 2% digluconate binds strongly to skin, mucosa and other tissues and is thus very poorly absorbed. No detectable blood levels have been found following oral use.
No data of relevance to the prescriber, which is additional to that included in other sections of the SPC.
Care Chlorhexidindigluconat 2% Antiseptic Mouthwash is incompatible with anionic agents which are often present in toothpastes. Therefore these should be used before the mouthwash, rinsing the mouth between applications, or at a different time of day.